Monday, November 26, 2007

Presentation Responses

The artists that stood out to me and started good conversation, in my mind and in the class itself, were Kiki Smith and Nikki Lee.

With Kiki Smith it was more of an internal conversation with myself trying to understand why she did the things the way she did. I wanted to understand why her sculptures were so unlike her drawings, and why she chose to work in so many different mediums. Her sculptures were solid colors with almost no facial recognition except maybe a nose and eye sockets (with a few exceptions). Her drawings however showed all the features of the face and much more detail in the bodies too.

Nikki Lee on the other hand sparked a bigger conversation in the class, with different people opposed to and defending the different projects she did. I asked a few people how they would feel if she did an artist project and they said they would probably just laugh, so why not laugh at all of the projects I ask? I feel like she did a good job portraying the different groups of different areas and it would be interesting to see the rest of the projects to see if she changed the way she looked within a certain group. It would be interesting to see if she showed the different types of people in that group itself or if she was just the same "character" over and over again in different poses.

No comments: